Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Star Trek Novels...

You have all missed the greatest Trek Novel Of All Time.... "How Much For Just The Plant?" by John Ford. I have my much treasured copy right here.

If you haven't read it - get it, read it.

If you don't like it - well, not much to be done for you then!

It is a comedy take on TOS done in a truly loving way. Frankly I think it should have been one of the TOS movies...

Actually scary as this is it has played a pretty big role in my game as my initial XO (now CO of his own ship) is from Direidi...

TK

Talking My 100th Post! Yay! :D :D

Originally posted by toadkiller:<BR>You have all missed the greatest Trek Novel Of All Time.... "How Much For Just The Plant?" by John Ford. I have my much treasured copy right here.
    If you haven't read it - get it, read it.
    Got it and read it. Its still one of my all time favs. I got a kick of watching the two crews getting themselves into some crazy situations. I also enjoyed The Final Reflection. In some respects, I like Ford's take on the Klingons better.
    Some other favorites:[list=1][*]Ship of the Line-I like the approach used in the combat sequences.[*]Mutiny on the Enterprise[*]The Wounded Sky-I wish those glass spiders were canon...[/list=1]
    The best way to predict the future is to create it.

If you are a narrator and looking for "stuff: to run in your series, read the Badlands books (2, written by Susan Wright). The books are rather fun and contain 4 novellas (one for each series). They have tons of Treknobabble Stuff that would be great for a narrator to use.

Anyone read "A Stitch in Time?" It is supposed to be great as to Cardassian culture.
    Kronok

I am dead. As of this moment, we are all dead. We go into battle to reclaim our lives. This we do gladly because we are Jem’Hadar. Remember, victory is life.

"The D20 System is the heart of the classic fantasy roleplaying experience, the game that has taught us all how to be munchkins. There is no way we could do it with any other system."

A Stitch in Time: It's a rather good book, all in all.
    On the one hand, Garak's biography is pretty good. It offers a great insight into the Cardassian culture ... and makes Cardassians a lot more likeable. Moreover, I rather enjoyed the way it is written.
    On the other hand, I don't like their take on the post-war Cardassia. I mean, I can quite understand the parallel with post WW2 Germany (I used it myself for our campaign), but still, Cardassia is composed of many systems, not just one planet, not just one city!
    Conclusion: Do read it for Garak's past, not for his future (heh, I'm sure he's much happier in <I>our</I> universe).
    Every procedure for getting a cat to take a pill works fine -- once.
    Like the Borg, they learn...
    -- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)

Reunion

Well, here'
    COL Jeffrey A. Webb
    342nd MSG "The Wolf Dragoons"
    USS Ark Angel

Reunion

Well, here's my two strips:

I loved 'Vendetta'. A lot.

'Ship of the Line' had a few problems, but all in all I *love* the crew of the Bozeman, and wouldn't mind reading a novel or two about them before their temporal accident. CAPT Bateson makes a great CO. (The ship in our campaign is currently assigned to the Federation Border Service, by the way)

'Reunion', however, has to be my favorite novel. It's a great murder mystery, tells a lot about CAPT Picard's past aboard the Stargazer, tells a much better version of Jack Crusher's death than the canon explaination, and introduces a very interesting race called the Daa'vit, whom even the Klingons consider barbaric.

COL Webb
    COL Jeffrey A. Webb
    342nd MSG "The Wolf Dragoons"
    USS Ark Angel

BOOKS!

I enjoyed 'Genesis Wave', 'Avatar' 1&2, and the TNG Section 31 book 'Rogue' (it surprised me in a few places). I am working on the DS9/Section 31 book now and like a lot of the relaunch so far. While the DS9 3 parter was ok, like a lot of multi part stories, there was less story there than required to fill 3 books.

Originally posted by Captain Zymmer

If I want to read fanfic I will go to the best I have found thus far:
    USS Liberty (great stuff... really, really great stuff!)...
    It's both encouraging and gratifying to find a compliment for your work when randomly browsing the listserv. I'm pleased you so enjoy Liberty, Captain Zymmer; I hope to continue honing my skills, and producing enjoyable fiction. It's clear I have some fans out there.

Perrryyy Guest

anybody read..

Gateways books 1 & 2?
    Maximum Warp Book 2?
    Genesis Wave book 2?
    The Double Helix Series has been mentioned by one person. Anyone else read it?

I have Maximum Warp and Genesis Wave book 1 of both series, but haven't read em yet.

I suppose I could list my collection (most of which I haven't read yet, but I now find I have the time to), but I don't wanna bore the list :P

I've read very few novels so far, but I rather liked the Q-Continuum Trilogy, by Greg Cox.

Gateways: Book 1

I read Gateways: Book 1. It held my interest decently; I won't say it was spectacularly good. The aliens were interesting enough. The author needed to do a bit more work on science, it was clear she (?) didn't understand what neutronium really is, or how a properly designed computer interface would work (that last is opinion, of course.)

I have always wondered if the Kalandans, from "That Which Survives" could have ... well ... survived. I won't reveal what this book says about that, but my own opinion is that a star faring civilization would be damn hard to wipe out, even with a biologic as was described at the end of the episode.

But even if they survived, they'd be more of a plot device than real opponents, considering the level of technology shown in the episode -- similar in a lot of ways to the First Federation, the Thasians, and perhaps half a dozen other TOS races. And for that purpose, it's just as easy for a narrator to roll his own.

Deep Space Nine: Millenium

The 3 book Millenium saga for DS9 deserves a mention. It was an excellent story and introduces some great story ideas. The dark future of the War of the Prophets in Book II was excellent as are some of the new toys that the Federation has developed. Also someone explained how stardates were derived as a universal time keeping method...check it out if you haven't already.
    Arise, arise, Riders of Theoden!
    Fell deed awake: fire and slaughter!
    Spear shall be shaken, shields be splintered,
    a sword-day, a red-day, ere the sun rises!
    Ride now, ride now! Ride to Gondor!

Theoden King: The Return of the King

I'm SHOCKED Karg hasn't replied to this one, he's read most of 'em...

My Favorites?

Federation
    All the Shatner books
    The Final Reflection
    Yesterday's Son
    The Romulan Way
    Battlestations!
    Dreadnaught
    I.Q.
    The Trellistane Confrontation
    My Enemy, My Ally
    Black Fire

Least Favorite?
    Q Squared
    Honor Blade
    Sword Hunt
    Q In Law
    Dyson Sphere

I LOVED the audio Q In Law, but felt the book just didn't grab me...

I WILL listen to ANY audiobook read by John DeLance; he's THAT good!!!

"This battlestation is now the ultimate power in...who's hailing us? I don't care who these 'Borg' are, THEY CAN WAIT!!!"
    Admiral Motti, now Eighth Of Eight

I.Q.

I must disagree on "I.Q." I did not enjoy that particular outing at all. It seemed like an incoherent mess to me. YMMV.

Peter David used to be an author I'd buy on name value alone. Then he seemed to go through a period where his writing didn't appeal to me at all, and I stopped buying anything with his name on it.

On a whim, I borrowed "Sir Apropos of Nothing" from the local library and was pleasantly surprised. He might have passed through whatever made him unappealing to me, and be on the way back.

How Much For Just the Planet? Most Excellent
    My Enemy, MY Ally
    The Wounded Sky
    I, Q
    Federation
    The Shatner Novels
    Most Of Peter David's, Mike Friedman's, and the old DC writers Books
    Battlestations
    Dreadnaught
    The Abode of Life
    Assignment:Eternity
    The Vulcan Academy Murders