Thread: LT Malcolm Reed

LT Malcolm Reed

I liked LT Reed declaring that several precautions we consider 'no-brainers' from TNG on should be standard procedure. I like his command style, but for a soldier, which is what the Writer's Bible excerpts that have been circulating seem to say he is, he certainly dropped the ball in 'The Andorian Incident'.
    When the Crewman who was hit dropped, I stood aghast when Reed actually turned his back on the enemy to check the casualty, then dragged him out of the line of fire whilst the Andorians were still firing at him. I don't think any trained combat officer would ever turn his back on an enemy in the middle of a fight, and it's Reed's good luck that the Andorians seemed to go to the Imperial Stormtrooper Marksmanship Academy.
    Finish off the bad guys, or pin them down. THEN check the casualty.

This just rubbed me the entirely wrong way for a character I really want to like.
    COL Jeffrey A. Webb
    342nd MSG "The Wolf Dragoons"
    USS Ark Angel

I like Reed too, but I'm starting to wonder just how much combat experience he has. His ambush tactics weren't that good, which may have been necessary for the plot, but still...

So in my mind, Earth has been peaceful for a long enough time for Malcolm to grow up and go through life without ever being in a serious fight. Now that he's out in the big dangerous galaxy, he'll be seeing the difference between training scenarios and real life combat for the first time.
    + &lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;<

Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. Psalm 144:1

Um...he's a character in a television show.

Quack
    Salinger/TheDuck

"If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck,
    and quacks like a duck...it's gotta be Salinger." -Quack!

"You're living in America/Leave your conscience at the tone."
    - Jonathan Larson, Rent

And while I know it's a cop-out comment, I'm willing to bet neither Dominic Keating nor Roxann Dawson have any military experience. And I don't think there's a military consultant for the show.

Reed and Archer missed the really easy way out. Since we know their sensors could pick out their life signs (from the pilot), why didn't they just beam the Andorians to the ship with a team ready to stun them? Answer - Plot device. Oh, well.
    - Daniel "A revolution without dancing is a revolution not worth having."

Originally posted by Ineti
    And while I know it's a cop-out comment, I'm willing to bet neither Dominic Keating nor Roxann Dawson have any military experience. And I don't think there's a military consultant for the show.
    There should be... I'll volunteer.
    “I am a soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight.”

General George S. Patton, Jr.

I'll volunteer too.
    Best speed to Gallifrey!
    Commodore Horatio Richard Jaeger
    CO,USS Audacity,NCC-85901

Cool

Oo! Oo! Oo! Pick me!
    Insert something clever