Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: War of the Gods

Or That Damn Fish has a taste for crunchy little slug-like symbionts (Mmm... Great with barbecue sauce)
    "That might have been the biggest mistake of my life..."

"It is unlikely. I predict there is scope for even greater mistakes in the future given your obvious talent for them."

Vila and Orac, Blake's Seven

War of the Gods (Part 5)

The ship is ordered to take their prisoner back to Trill for study. Enroute the CMO and the science officer are able to study the captured Dominant and make a startling discovery. The Dominant in him is not a full grown one but an immature one that is not ready for implantation. It is living off the host's body, its a sort of living incubator for the Dominant until its full grown. On Trill, the symbionts live in the symbiont pools until they are fully grown and ready for implantation.

The prisoner refuses to disclose any information about his species, even the recovered counselor's telepathic ability are unable to break his resistance. So he is placed under heavy guard in the brig until the ship arrives at Trill.

Meanwhile, reports are coming in of more temple ship sightings not only in Federation territory but on several worlds in the Romulan Empire, the Cardassian Union and even Breen space. Most of the worlds which host such temples are uninhabited so they remain undiscovered for mellenia. These temple ships do massive damage to ships that try to resist them. Two Breen ships try to use their energy draining weapons on the temple only to have the entire system overload, destroying both ships.

The ship returns to Trill and turns over their prisoner. Trill has since become heavily fortified with a strong Starfleet presence backed up by Klingon vessels and the Trill's own defence force.

The CMO decides to go exploring and with the science officer and the ship's first lieutenant, she beams down to the ruined temple site to see what she can learn whilst the CO and other more "militaristic" members of the crew head off to brief the deputy chief of operations about their discoveries in the Tantulus Nebula.

At the ruined temple, which is swarming with Trill security and representatives of the Federation Science Council, the CMO encounters a friend from the previous host's past, the rogue archeologist Vash who has come to see what she can salvage out of the ruins. With Vash's help the away team manages to get through the security cordon and into the guts of the ruined temple itself. The find nothing except for a strange tablet with indeciperable writing on it. Of no intrinsic value, it may be a clue in the war against the Dominant.

Retruning to the ship with their find, the CMO and her companions begin analyzing the tablet but are unable to find anything useful. Meanwhile the war is not going well as temple ships are able to strike with impunity at any target they chose. At the moment they are concentrating on several archeological sites whose only connection seems to be that they were not native to the planet on which they were found but apparently were built by ancient "Gods".

The ship is ordered to proceed to the former Cardassian DMZ where there have been reports of a temple ship which had apparently crashed onto a desolate world whose air is thick with heavy poisonous metals. The crew are ordered to secure the temple ship and await reinforcements from Deep Space Nine to be led by the USS Defiant.

The temple ship is quite easy to find, but securing it would be another matter. There are no life signs onboard so the CO sends in an away team to check out the temple ship. The CMO volunteers to go along for the ride. They find no survivors on the temple ship which had been hit by something that ripped a gapping hole in its side. Considering that it took a tri-cobalt device to do the same thing in the Tantulus Nebula, whatever damaged the temple was enormously powerful.

The ship is secured but the away team and follow on security teams cannot be certain that the ship is truly unihabited as there are sections which cannot be scanned all of which had to be stromed. Systematic exploration of the temple ship is done and the chief engineer is brought in to study its power plant and warp drive to she how they can sustain warp 9.999 for a sustained period. The exploration effort takes a few days, long enough for additional ships to arrive from DS9. Among the DS9 contingent is Ezri, current host of the Dax symbiont .

(end part 5)
    Arise, arise, Riders of Theoden!
    Fell deed awake: fire and slaughter!
    Spear shall be shaken, shields be splintered,
    a sword-day, a red-day, ere the sun rises!
    Ride now, ride now! Ride to Gondor!

Theoden King: The Return of the King

Look I'm not going to answer any questions or reply to speculation (well except that nothing Styro created will be remotely featured here ). You'll have to wait with baited breath like everyone else. Get it?

ROTFL!

This message has been removed on request by the
    poster

Alpha Team could take 'em whilst armed with only a Runabout and a few sharp sticks....

Sorry, when it comes to the idea of Starfleet Marines, I go with Special Ops teams the whole time.

And, Ghosty? My breath has never been more baited.

Or it would be, if I needed to breathe... (Bwuhahahaha!!!)

"It is unlikely. I predict there is scope for even greater mistakes in the future given your obvious talent for them."

War of the Gods (Part 6)

After assisting in securing the crashed temple ship, the ship is ordered to report to DS9 to join Admiral Ross's task force protecting the Bajor sector from the Dominants.

During the layover, the PCs are given a chance to study the tablet they picked up on Trill. Although there seems to be no way of deciphering the writing, until a Bajoran vedek sees the tablet and recognises the writing as Ancient High Bajoran although he can't read it, certain senior members of the Vedek Council can.

The CO brings the tablet to Colonel Kira and asks her for assistance. Kira contacts a member of the Vedek Council and a meeting with a scholar of ancient Bajoran at the University of Bajor. The CMO goes down to Bajor with Vash to speak to the scholar/cleric.

While the crew awaits the CMO's return, a booby trapped freighter explodes in the docking ring, the Defiant is badly damaged in the explosion and a good third of the station suffers damage. As everyone pitches in in a rescue effort, a Dominant undercover team kidnaps Ezri Dax in the confusion and a temple ship arrives to distract the defending starships to allow them to make an escape. The temple ship manages to severly damages Ross's flagship, the Prometheus and four other ships before withdrawing.

Things begin to look dim as reports begin to filter in about more kidnappings of Trill hosts who are off Trill. Obviously the Dominants have a new plan up their sleeve, the only question is what is it. The CO immediately sends a security team down to Bajor to guard the CMO who is now at risk considering what she knows about the Dominants.

The Bajoran scholar is able to decipher the writings on the tablet (which is incomplete) and it speaks of a War of Gods and the return of the Emissary.

As the word Emissary is deciphered (dramatic TV moment) the fire caves open in a dramatic explosion and out steps Captain Benjamin Sisko, the Emissary.

(end Part 6)

Darn! Didn't take the "War of the Gods" title literally enough...

Mind you, maybe Q will show up as well!

Or how about Kev Uxbridge?

Maybe it's time for a final rumble between all those immensely powerful races we've seen on Trek through the years...

"In the red corner, the Trickster God, the Lord of Lies, Q! In the blue corner, the contender - Mistress of Exosia, Suspiria! Two falls, 1 knockout or 1 submission. I don't want to see biting, gouging, or turning solar systems into giant billiard tables..."

War of The Gods (Part 7)

Sisko has changed since he was trapped in the fire caves to stop the rampages of the Pah Wraiths. He has learnt much in his time there and he now understands what is means to be the Emissary. He commandeers a shuttle and flies into the wormhole to consult with the Prophets.

As Starfleet tries to recover from their recent setbacks and the security of all joined Trills is stepped up, the Dominants consolidate their position in the Tantalus Nebula and begin a campaign to conquer nearby worlds. Two Federation colonies are taken and losses continue to mount, an unacceptable situation in the post-Dominion War era.

Sisko returns from his visit to the Prophets. He calls a meeting of all allied commanders at DS9. Each of the allies sends a reprsentative. The situation is turning critical as temple ships are hitting targets in Klingon, Romulan and Cardassian space.

Sisko reveals the history of the First War of the Gods. Mellenia ago the Trill Symbionts had conquered a galaxy crushing all opposition before them in their mighty temple ships. Their power had been crushed by an ancient race, the Valarian and by internal dissent. The Valarians were not inclined to be merciful to any symbionts so they flee. The find an unstable wormhole and end up in the Alpha Quadrant. One temple ship crashes on Trill and begin the relationship between the humanoids and the symbionts.

During their time as rulers of Trill, the Dominants send their temple ships off to conquer the Alpha Quadrant but are defeated by a combined force of the T'Kon and proto-Bajorans led by a Bajoran legend. The Dominant defeat by the T'Kon and other ancient races leads to their own fall to the Symbionts on Trill and their exile from Trill.

The question is how was the temple ship that was captured got damaged. Not even tri-cobalt devices could have damaged it that badly. The Bajorans but the Bajorans did not have any of the technology that had been used to defeat the Dominants so one of the old races must still be around. Sisko says that the Prophets are unable to explain it in linear terms only that there is help to be obtained but the Prophets cannot intervene.

The PCs are assigned to locate whatever crippled that temple ship. Their first stop is the Unitia Planatia Fleet Yards where the temple ship wreckage has been taken for repairs. They learn from the engineers that the weapon has a distinct and unique signature which is not used by any known starfaring race.

So the PCs go back to where they found the downed ship only to be confronted by a Dominant scout ship intent on kidnapping the CMO. They manage to evade the scout but the ship is damaged and cast adrift towards the Otanka Anomaly, a unstable quantum singularity, a black hole with insufficient mass to become a black hole but with enough gravatic pull to rip the ship apart if they can't restore warp power.

(end Part 7)

Okay I just read the whole thread in one sitting...My head is still spinning...this is the kind of stuff I love in Trek...moving the universe forward and having past episodes and story lines have an effect.

Bravo.

Can't wait to see how it ends
    Captain Zymmer
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=

=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Admit nothing, deny everything and make counter accusations...

War of the Gods (Part 8)

As the ship drifts towards the Otanka Anomaly the chief engineer tries desparately to effect repairs to the warp engines which are almost completely scragged. The CO sends out a distress signal but the only ship close by is a Cardassian curiser which would not arrive before the ship is caught in the event horizon of the Anomaly and be dragged in.

The CO orders an evcuation of all non-essential crew elements into available shuttlecraft which could escape the Anomaly's pull. But that can only save a quarter of the crew.

As the ship enters the point of no return sensors begin to detect something coming out of the anomaly. It is a ship, whose readings equal those of the Dominant temple ship but whose energy signature matches those of the weapon which crippled the temple ship.

The announce themselves to be the Valkir the Dominants' enemy and they are here to help the Federation defeat this new threat to its security.

(End Part 8)

Originally posted by Captain Zymmer
    Okay I just read the whole thread in one sitting...My head is still spinning...this is the kind of stuff I love in Trek...moving the universe forward and having past episodes and story lines have an effect.

Bravo.

Can't wait to see how it ends
    Wooh, I made Zymmer's head spin.

Any chance the name "Valkir" is related to the Earth term "Valkyrie"?

War of the Gods (Part 8.2)

This stuff was supposed to get into Part 8 but I had to run off to do something before I finished Part 8. So here's the rest of Part 8...

The Valkir commander invites the CO to her ship to discuss the war with the Dominants but insists that she comes alone. After dealing with her protesting officers, the CO beams over to open negotiations with the Valkir.

The Valkir tells the CO that she has come from the past where the Valkir are at war with the Dominants to help save the future. The Otanka Anomaly is actually a time space anomaly which links the present to the time of the 1st War with the Dominants.

Asked how she knew to come, the Valkir commander just says they knew as it was what they were told to do. Asked who told her, the Valkir CO refuses to say just that all will soon become clear.

The CO sends a message to DS9 and is told by Sisko to wait in place while he comes to speak to the Valkir, he seems undisturbed by the news of the Valkir's arrival as if he expected it.

Sisko arrives onboard a runabout. The Valkir commander speaks to Sisko as if she knew who he was. He tells her that she had a mission to complete and that her orders were unchanged. All this is very mysterious to the CO who tries to question Sisko later but Sisko refuses only that the CO should await instructions.

The CO is not happy about taking orders from someone who isn't in her chain of command but something about Sisko convinces her not to press the issue.

The Valkir move to DS9 where they begin to share their knowledge of the Dominants but they refuse to share weapons technology as they say it is not needed.

Meanwhile, a Romulan scout ship has discovered where the Dominants were keeping the kidnapped Trills, a Jem'Hadar base not far from the Badlands abandoned in the last day of the Dominion War. A scratch rescue force is put together.

At first the mission goes off without a hitch. Fighters from the Thunderchild beat off the Dominant fighter patrols allowing the strike force to strike at the base. No temple ships come to challenge them and a RRT strike force liberates the hostage Trill.

After the hostages are taken aboard, they suddenly seize control of the rescue ships. Each of them have a Dominant Symbiont implanted into them and their Trill Symbionts have been put into some form of suspended animation.

The ship is not part of the mission as it was being repaired but is repaired in time to take part in the mission to retake control of the hijacked vessels. It would be a tricky mission as they cannot harm the hijackers without harming the Trill symbionts.

(end Part 8.2)

Originally posted by Capt.Hunter
    Any chance the name "Valkir" is related to the Earth term "Valkyrie"?
    Maybe...maybe not...I'll tell you at the appropriate juncture, in the fullness of time.

I just realised how much Babylon 5 there is in this whole story arc. So I managed to combined 2 great sci-fi series into one...kwell...