Thread: New Series Format

New Series Format

Since the game is in hiatus, I've decided to make some changes to the format.

Only 3 of the PCs will be returning with their original characters, Commanding Officer Captain Mariko Ozawa, Executive Officer Commander John Shepard and CMO Dr. Larena Curron. All the other regulars want to have new characters.

The idea is while the primary PC will be one of the senior staff, everyone will be playing a secondary character, a junior officer Lieutenant(jg) or below...sort of a lower decks perspective. I'll try to do a lower decks episode every three episodes to give a bit of variety.
    Arise, arise, Riders of Theoden!
    Fell deed awake: fire and slaughter!
    Spear shall be shaken, shields be splintered,
    a sword-day, a red-day, ere the sun rises!
    Ride now, ride now! Ride to Gondor!

Theoden King: The Return of the King

All of my players are doig the same thing for season two of Star Trek: Lexington. I mean they are making back-up characters whoa re all Ensigns on their first tour of duty.

I already have two adventures from the Adventure Seeds to run those characters in

Also allows for if I ever have no reason to get the primary character into a situation, they can always rely on thier back-up character
    Captain Zymmer
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=

=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Admit nothing, deny everything and make counter accusations...

I have been thinking of going that route with my tabletop game. Right now we switch between two scenerios: one is a round-robin, where we alternate narrating and play aboard the USS Perseus (Nebula Class) where a lot of the characters have worked their way up (or filled through death of superiors) to department heads... of course that Round Robin theory never happens much, and I usually end up narrating. :P

The other 'series' is our USS Sam Steele story, where I've trapped a crew behind Dominion lines in a little tiny Berlin-Class security Cutter. That one's fun - we've done it twice now: there's just something about the poor characters being led by a Lieutenant, and being mostly crewmen.

So, I'm tempted to add a "lower decks" element back into the Perseus game - ship aboard either (a) cadets being rushed through the program during the Dominion War: they're ensigns, but really untested, or (b) ensigns already there, who suddenly find themselves in higher positions because the Federation is running out of people...

The Doc
    So you think, 'Might as well,
    Dance a Tango to Hell,
    at least I'll have Tangoed at all.'
    -- "Rent," Jonathan Larson

I am hoping that it goes over well.

So far the characters pitched and approvved are...

A Medical Ensign who is more a medic than anything else
    The XO's Yeoman
    An Andorian Tactical Officer
    A communications officer who is from a race that just joined the UFP during the Dominion War

Still waiting for two more players to cook up their ideas
    Captain Zymmer
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=

=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Admit nothing, deny everything and make counter accusations...

Made it a point that the player can't play a similar junior officer to his/her senior staff officer. That way there's a little role reversal and the CO player gets to move away from making all the decisions and so on. Also I think it'll give the players a little more range.

For the moment, the CO is going to play the newly assigned deputy counselor (with a minor role as civilian liasion). The XO is going to play a chief newly assigned security officer with a chip on his shoulder and the CMO is going to be a junior Vulcan command officer, the unofficial "leader" of the bunch. One player (he's the first lieutenant) wants to be a Romulan exchange officer as part of the newly spawned alliance, he confessed to having a "thing" for the CMO's Vulcan...could be interesting..
    Arise, arise, Riders of Theoden!
    Fell deed awake: fire and slaughter!
    Spear shall be shaken, shields be splintered,
    a sword-day, a red-day, ere the sun rises!
    Ride now, ride now! Ride to Gondor!

Theoden King: The Return of the King