Thread: hover chair

Perrryyy Guest

hover chair

Anyone done stats for a hoverchair similar to Melora Pazlar's (the Elaysian in the DS9 episode "Melora")?

Nope, haven't done it. But unless you want to use a StyroChair (c, tm, etc.) I wouldn't try to build one with Spacedock rules.

All you would need IMHO would be speed, max. flight ceiling above ground, max. range/hours in operation before battery needs a recharge and a maneuverability rating. The later could be set up as a cap (or bonus) applied to the 'pilots' Coordination scoure, while moving around in the chair.
    Maybe add a small IDF generator as a safety meassure.

It's been a while since I saw "Melora", but how about this:

Hover Chair

Top Speed: 30kph
    Maximum fleight ceiling: 2m above ground
    Max. weight carried: 350kg (reduce top speed to 10kph if carrying more than 250kg)
    Mass: 10.5kg when deactivated, negligible when activated
    Duration: 150hours before recharge (standard sarium-krellide power cell)
    Maneuverability: no more then 3 dice can be applied to any test for piloting the hover chair
    Skill used: Personal Equipment (Hover Chair)

A hover chair can take 20 points of damage before it ceases to function. If it takes more then 35 points of damage it is destroyed beyond repair.
    A small IDF generator built into the chair protects the user from 5 points of damage from collisions.

No pulse phasers, no batman armor and no borg regeneration - boring, I know, but at least it won't give your Narrator a heart attack.

This message has been removed on request by the
    poster

Cool

Why not use the 'armored vehicle' rules from the Dominion War Sourcebook by the adored Steve Long?
    The darkness inside me is a lot scarier than the darkness out there....

Hrm. Seems to me you'd want to figure out it's "Medical Remedy" value. If it is non-bulky, can handle all terrain (but not things like water), can climb stairs, and is not much wider than your average person, then you could give it a medical remedy equal to that of the disadvantage of being unable to walk.

If it's not as good as that, then less of a "Medical Remedy." If it can do more (ie: 'walk' over water) then it gets more. I'm not sure how much I'd actually play it as a technological item: sort of like Geordi's VISOR, it would be a story starter sometimes, a plot element, but I wouldn't care too much for huge stats and abilities to begin with.

To paraphrase Linus Van Pelt, "I wear glasses so I can see better." "I use a 'chair so I can get around."

The Doc
    So you think, 'Might as well,
    Dance a Tango to Hell,
    at least I'll have Tangoed at all.'
    -- "Rent," Jonathan Larson

Perrryyy Guest
    Originally posted by Lancer
    Nope, haven't done it. But unless you want to use a StyroChair (c, tm, etc.) I wouldn't try to build one with Spacedock rules.

All you would need IMHO would be speed, max. flight ceiling above ground, max. range/hours in operation before battery needs a recharge and a maneuverability rating. The later could be set up as a cap (or bonus) applied to the 'pilots' Coordination scoure, while moving around in the chair.
    Maybe add a small IDF generator as a safety meassure.

It's been a while since I saw "Melora", but how about this:

Hover Chair

Max. weight carried: 350kg (reduce top speed to 10kph if carrying more than 250kg)
    Maneuverability: no more then 3 dice can be applied to any test for piloting the hover chair

A hover chair can take 20 points of damage before it ceases to function. If it takes more then 35 points of damage it is destroyed beyond repair.
    A small IDF generator built into the chair protects the user from 5 points of damage from collisions.

No pulse phasers, no batman armor and no borg regeneration - boring, I know, but at least it won't give your Narrator a heart attack.
    I like this. Thanks!

Well. the episode 'Melora' specifically states that the hover chair is incompatible with DS9's cardassian architecture as the Anti-Gravs wouldn't work...

So i would base it more on the anti-grav trolleys they use in the episodes...

While most of that seems fine, with what we have seen, i think that the speed is a little high... I would put the standard speed at walking pace at the listed duration, but increased speed would drain the batteries real fast...

And I would also note that the maneuverability would drop dramatically anything over 12 inches off the ground. theres some small part of my brain that seems to scream it would be almost uncontrolable as it gets higher...
    DanG/Darth Gurden
    The Voice of Reason and Sith Lord

“Putting the FUNK! back into Dysfunctional!”

Coming soon. The USS Ganymede NCC-80107
    "Ad astrae per scientia" (To the stars through knowledge)

Perrryyy Guest
    Originally posted by Dan Gurden

While most of that seems fine, with what we have seen, i think that the speed is a little high... I would put the standard speed at walking pace at the listed duration, but increased speed would drain the batteries real fast...

And I would also note that the maneuverability would drop dramatically anything over 12 inches off the ground. theres some small part of my brain that seems to scream it would be almost uncontrolable as it gets higher...
    Well, since if I use this at all, it would be in the Venture PBEM, that works. I agree that the speed was a bit high as originally posted. I also agree on your point about faster battery drain with increased speed (not to mention increased incumbrance).

Could you explain how it gets uncontrollable higher off the ground? Do you remember where you heard that?

Why do you need specific stats for the chair? Why not just make up basic info about it?

Perrryyy Guest
    Originally posted by Phantom
    Why do you need specific stats for the chair? Why not just make up basic info about it?
    Well for now I really don't need specific stats. It was more a "what if" question.

Could you explain how it gets uncontrollable higher off the ground? Do you remember where you heard that?
    I didnt hear it anywhere in particular, but this observation is based on observation of the anti-grav trolleys and single anti-grav chair throughout the movies and tng era episodes.

In The Motion Picture, we see a trolley at about 1 metre up in the air, being pushed directly on some kind of 'leash'.

Since then we have never seen an anti-grav unit any more than 12 inches off the ground.

The only exception is Spock rocket/anti-grav boots from Trek V. And we all know what we think of those...

In my mind, along with the lack of any control surfaces to steady the unit makes sense that while anti-grav may well get you off the ground... Going too far will require a lot of skill to keep the unit steady and under control... Ranging from being too wobbly through to loosing full control and denting the deck...

its just a mental image I have...
    DanG/Darth Gurden
    The Voice of Reason and Sith Lord

“Putting the FUNK! back into Dysfunctional!”

Coming soon. The USS Ganymede NCC-80107
    "Ad astrae per scientia" (To the stars through knowledge)

Perrryyy Guest

Re: Dan's Logic

Seems sound to me.

Thanks Dan.