Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I suppose this will make me a Heratic...

Cylons, where??? Can't even enjoy another chat without the fracking things showing up....
    May your worlds be at peace. Never assume, that the pointy eared first officer is Vulcan.

"Oh, don't worry
    But FASA trek was a really good game. I spent hundreds of hours with it. It was the first game I had seen that proposed you not to roll for normal tasks if you had a reasonable level of competence, and for me, in that D&D era, it was a wonderful change.

But I prefer LUG trek, and it seems I'm going to love CODA trek (it seems I brought it back on topic )."

I agree that FASA was a real good game. D&D often frustrated me because it required so many rolls for things you should instinctively know how to do. Even FASA had action points for such things as talking and walking, but didn't require you to make DEX rolls for climbing hills or some such. Personally, I only used Action Points during hand to hand combat. Looking forward to using CODA Trek.

M_F

Originally posted by tonyg
    FASA-CODA CONVERSION

You got me interested, so I started working on a conversion. Here are the rough guidelines.

SKILLS

CODA SKILL = FASA SKILL/8.5 (nearest)

Most FASA skills can be coverted to their CODA equvalents easily enough by lookaing at the name and description.

That should be enough to get the ball rolling.
    Hey Tonyg, nice work on this conversion sheet. Excellent starting point. I'm currently converting one of my FASA NPC/SuperSpy characters to Decipher, and have found some skills that don't quite convert 1:1. It's not a complete list, but I thought I'd give a heads-up and show what I've done with them:

Atmospheric Craft Pilot - created a new skill for this, though I can see how this can appear under the Knowledge skills as a specialty.

Bribery - created this as a new skill, though I can see how this should be one of the Enterprise skills picked up if you're creating a Rogue.

Carousing - probably either a Knowledge specialty or a flaw (I say Flaw because this can mean someone who likes to party a bit too much).

Grav. Vehicle Operation - again, I'd put this under Knowledge skills as a specialty.

Swimming - logged as a Sports specialty.

Leadership - you can do this either as a specialty under Enterprise (for business leadership) or create a skill for Starship Command Officers. It could also be a trait in someone with a high Persuasion level.

Value Estimation - put this as an Enterprise specialty skill.

This isn't an exhaustive list, and these skills are probably not all terribly important to Starfleet Officers, unless they're in Intelligence or are assigned to an area of space considered rough terrain.

For those who are converting FASA, hope this helps. Any ideas, let me know. Thanks.

-Maltese_Falcon

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    Here's my take on them:

Atmospheric Craft Pilot = Systems Operation (Small Craft or Atmospheric Craft)

Bribery = Persuade (Bribe) or Enterprise: Streetwise (Bribery)

Carousing = Persuade (Carousing)

Grav. Vehicle Operation = Systems Operation (Ground Vehicle)

Swimming = definitely Sport (Swimming)

Leadership = Influence (Leadership), but this is also a reflection of the promotion edge, where the character receives bonuses interacting with subordinates within his/her organization. Personally, I'd give the player the choice to distribute "Leadership" between two of the three influence skills: Influence and Persuade

Value Estimation = Appraise
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

Originally posted by Calcoran

Anyhow, welcome to the boards Horatio! One more fellow frenchy (oh well, sort of ) on the boards! Huzzah! (poor Paul )

Trying desperately to bring this post back on topic ... argh failed! Sorry .
    Whaddya mean "one more fellow frenchy" ?
    Could it be that i'm not the only one ???
    Well... now THAT is good news !

As for going back on topic... umm

I'm going to disagree with Sea Tyger on most of his interpretations here. You have been warned.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Sea Tyger
    [B]Here's my take on them:

Atmospheric Craft Pilot = Systems Operation (Small Craft or Atmospheric Craft)
    I think this would fall under System Operations (Flight Control), unless we're talking about flying biplanes here. Flight Control covers starships and shuttlecraft. If you are talking biplanes and helecopters and such, you just take the Atmospheric Craft professional ability from the Flight Control Officer profession on p. 69 (with the Innovative edge if necessary). Note that even with this ability, you're still using the Flight Control specialty...

Bribery = Persuade (Bribe) or Enterprise: Streetwise (Bribery)
    After reading the skill descriptions, I'd support Influence (Bribe) more than I would either of these two suggestions.

Carousing = Persuade (Carousing)
    This one would fit a lot better under Influence as well, I think. Possibly even Influence (Charm).

Swimming = definitely Sport (Swimming)
    Actually, it's definitely Athletics (Swim), one of the existing specialties of that skill.

Leadership = Influence (Leadership), but this is also a reflection of the promotion edge, where the character receives bonuses interacting with subordinates within his/her organization. Personally, I'd give the player the choice to distribute "Leadership" between two of the three influence skills: Influence and Persuade
    While the Promotion and Command edges give you (or your subordinates) bonuses to tests, the actual skill you're looking for could be either Influence or Persuade. Both the leadership/command professional abilities (Combat Leader from Soldier and Command from Command Officer) use a different skill. Based on their descriptions, I'd say that Influence would cover bolstering moralle, while Persuade covers enhancing coordination. Of course, I could see an argument made for Enterprise: Administration. Depending on the aesthetic you're looking for, you should split things among these skills.

-Chris Landmark
    "Was entstanden ist, das muss vergehen. Was vergangen, auferstehn." -Klopstock & Mahler

"Only liberals really think. Only liberals are intellectual. Only liberals understand the needs of their fellows." How much viciousness lay concealed in that word! Odrade thought. How much secret ego demanding to feel superior. - Heretics of Dune

Exclamation

Originally posted by Maltese_Falcon

Atmospheric Craft Pilot - created a new skill for this, though I can see how this can appear under the Knowledge skills as a specialty.
    Atmospheric Craft is a Professional Ability described on pg 69.