Thread: Star ship shields

Question Star ship shields

i have but a simple question for all of you. When a starship shields are down, what happens to the shield's thresold? The protection drops to 5 but nothing is said about the thresold. We know that it is reduced by one at strenght 4 but that is all. If it is indeed the case then some weapon could never damage some starships. e.g. A penetration 3 against a thresold 4 could never arm the ship even if it brought its shields down to 0 because the thresold would be reduced to 3 but no less.

I am using the house rule that a 0 strenght shield has a thresold of 1 but I would be glad to have something official on this. Any ideas???
    ---------------------------
    The third principle of sentient life is its capacity for self sacrifice ---JMS

I get the impression it's 0. The shields aren't doing anything.
    "War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

John Stuart Mill

That's what I figured too. Its seems illogical that the shields still provide protection after they are down.

Dr Nick

Page 114, under 'Battle Damage', end of 2nd paragraph: "If a ship lacks functioning shields, ...,all damage applies directly to the ship's hull." (Emphasis added by yours truely.)

the only way all damage can get through at a ship's hull would be with a threshold of 0, so I think it's save to assume that that is indeed what the threshold becomes once the shields are down.

Bear in mind that a vessel's protection rating is basically its chance to be hit. This seems to be 5 for a normal object, with the shield's rating enhancing it (the protection rating) by deflecting glancing shots. The shield then protects the ship by absorbing damage as well (the threshold).

Damage to the shield is represented by shield strength, starting at 10 and reducing to 0 when the shield is explicitly down. The shield can also be damaged on its own damage track by criticals.

I thought this was really complicated at first. Then I looked again, and it all made perfect sense...

Jon

"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea is asleep and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song.
    Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do."
    THE DOCTOR, "Survival" (Doctor Who)