Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Star Trek: The Lost Era

Talking Star Trek: The Lost Era

For those wondering about the in between TOS and TNG time, There has been a new series covering this era released recently.

The Sundered (2293): Covering the Adventures of Captain Sulu and Co. Deals with the Tholians.

Serpents Amoung The Ashes (2311): Covers The Advenutres of Captain John Harriman & Co Abord the Enterprise-B. Deals with the Tomed Incident.
    A brave little theory, and actually quite coherent for a system of five or seven dimensions -- if only we lived in one.

Academician Prokhor Zakharov, "Now We Are Alone"

This is the one where Captain Bueller convinces Harriman to go AWOL and go to Risa for the day, right?

Originally posted by Owen E Oulton
    This is the one where Captain Bueller convinces Harriman to go AWOL and go to Risa for the day, right?
    Heh. And they "borrow" Harriman's dad's souped up shuttlecraft for a joyride, yes?
    Former Decipher RPG Net Rep

"Doug, at the keyboard, his fingers bleeding" (with thanks to Moriarti)

In D&D3E, Abyssal is not the language of evil vacuum cleaners.

actually the 2nd book isn't that bad. I won't do any spoilers, but the plot is pure Section 31 sneakiness on the part of the Federation what they pull off.
    A brave little theory, and actually quite coherent for a system of five or seven dimensions -- if only we lived in one.

Re: Star Trek: The Lost Era

Originally posted by BouncyCaitian
    The Sundered (2293): Covering the Adventures of Captain Sulu and Co. Deals with the Tholians.
    Read that. Enjoyed it immensely. The writer really seemed to have a handle on the TOS characters aboard Excelsior (Sulu, Chekov, Rand, Chapel) as well as giving good insight into the "new" characters as well (especially Lojur and LJ Akaar).

Serpents Amoung The Ashes (2311): Covers The Advenutres of Captain John Harriman & Co Abord the Enterprise-B. Deals with the Tomed Incident.
    Reading this now. So far, so good.

Looking forward to the next one, "The Art of the Impossible" (2328-2346). The cover features Col. Worf (from ST6) and a backlit Cardassian....
    Former Decipher RPG Net Rep

"Doug, at the keyboard, his fingers bleeding" (with thanks to Moriarti)

In D&D3E, Abyssal is not the language of evil vacuum cleaners.

This message has been removed on request by the
    poster

Just a heads up...

Slated for a November release:
    STAR TREK LOST ERA 2355-2357 DENY THY FATHER

No news as to what it's about, my copy of 'Previews' hasn't arrived at my LGS/LCBS...though their's did .
    ...and that's about the time it hit the fan...

Truisms I know:
    1) Marvel is NOT better than DC (nor should EVERYTHING be ‘ULTIMITED’),
    2) D20 is NOT the best gaming system out there (nor should EVERYTHING be ‘crammed’ into it),
    3) And No matter how ‘THEY’ dress it up, Regardless of how ‘THEY’ title it, and even if ‘THEY’ say “BASED ON…”; “ENTERPRISE” IS NOT STAR TREK!!!
    4) 'Reality' T.V. ain't 'Real'

If you go to www.psiphi.org and click on the "upcoming books" link, you will find links, updated fairly often, to ALL upcoming Star Trek books, and what they are about. Sometimes including covers, back cover text, and even excerpts.

For instance, for "Deny Thy Father":

THE YEARS ARE 2355-2357

Two men. Both defined by the personal tragedy that drove them apart. Both driven by their desire to serve, and their devotion to duty. Both haunted by the past, and uncertain of the future.... And both unable to reach across the chasm that separates father and son.

In the wake of the Tholian attack that nearly cost him his life, civilian strategic consultant Kyle Riker becomes the target on an apparent conspiracy within Starfleet Command, forcing him off Earth and beyond Federation territory to defeat the attempts on his life. But danger is never far off, even on a backwater world where Kyle's very name brings the promise of death.

At the same time, the Starfleet career of Kyle's estranged son William Riker is underway in earnest, from his turbulent formative years at the Academy to his first perilous missions as an ensign aboard the Starship Pegasus. And even as Kyle searches for the truth behind the events that have made him a fugitive, Will is pursued as well--by a family legacy he fears he will never escape.
    Also, by linking through to Amazon.com, you not only can buy the books in advance, but help support said site. Win-win.

Any questions?
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

Lightbulb

The Art of the Impossible is out. As well as Star Trek: New Frontier :Gods Above.

Yeah, I got my copy of Art of the Impossible the other day. Have only just finished The Sundered though, and barely started Serpents Among the Ruins, so it'll probably be a while until I get around to this one.

The Sundered was a damn good read though.

"You can't take a picture of this; it's already gone." -Nate Fisher, Six Feet Under.

This message has been removed on request by the
    poster

As a generality i've found most ST novels crap aimed at an 8th grade reading level. I enjoyed the Avatar series, and I'm only half way thru Serpents among the ruins and I absolutely LOVE IT.
    I went on a shopping spree last nite got serpents, the 4 books of the Mission Gamma series and the 5 gateways book which dealds with the DS9 relaunch.

Trek novels certainly seem to be having a sort of renaissance at the moment.

"You can't take a picture of this; it's already gone." -Nate Fisher, Six Feet Under.

It#s because there's been an injection of quality writing talent. Therefore the books are getting a slightly better reputation for quality writing, plotting and characterization.

Besides - it's good to return to the Trek universe, regardless of if it's canon or not, circa TNG onwards.

Slightly OT. Is Commander Elias Vaughn a total creation for the novels or did he actually appear at all in any of the series? Just curious as he's a cool character.
    We have all your working biros and we're not afraid to use them.

Leave a box of used postit notes and a box of paperclips inside the filling cabinet and things won't get nasty.

Yours,

The Office Gremlins