Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Once and Future King

Well, if it's good enough for JMS to make into a series, guess its good enough for a Trek RPG.

The concept did spring up an interesting notion for me, though - to do it Trek-style the best way would be to do so as an alien race - let your characters judge as outside observers first, if they want to be brought into it later that's fine.

Now they've done this with the Kahless concept in TNG (heck they even hunted for the Klingon Excalibur in DS9), but how about a little closer to home? A legendary return by another UFP race could cause all sorts of reprecussions at home - how about the Andorian's Arthur returning at the end of the Dominion War? Saving the planet against a last desperate push by the Jem Hadar? With a Vulcan mystic at his side? What would the waves of nationalism among an agressive people who believe the UFP is too pacifistic to survive in an ever threatening galaxy?

All sorts of tie ins here - the Klingons embrace the Andorians as brothers, to the point where an entire Klingon house pledges fealty. A beautiful Betazoid diplomat goes to talk the Andorian monarch from his course, then falls in love with the rash king. A human starfleet captain with a string of victories to numerous to count joins the cause after being defeated by the Andorian.

The Romulans point to the Andorian as an example of the growing threat caused by Federation dominance. His presence upsets the peace with the Empire, and sends relations back to their cold war days.

Section 31 plays the myth angle all the way, chosing to champion the Andorian because while they beleive him doomed to fail, they believe his presence will in the long term strengthen the Federation.

The Andorian monarch seizes upon the Maquis example as a case where the Federation morales put the good of the many over the few - surviving ex-Maquis members begin flocking to his cause, and he gains support from Bajor after a prophet experience....

Lots and lots of possibilities - and you could place the crew straight in the middle of it, and have the continuing mystery draw them in.

Is he ordained by a greater race, such as Sisko was? Is he an ordinary man who is a great politician, and who has seized upon the myth for his own purposes? Perhaps a genetically enhanced Andorian, in the nature of Khan, who is so charismatic he threatens to upset the entire order of the Federation. Or an outside creation, used to sow dissent among the Federation to weaken it for further attack. Perhaps a founder? A Borg tool, actually brought back from the past using their time travel, then enhanced with Nanotechnology?

Lots of cool stories here. Great thing about Trek is there are so many old stories you can tie in. Politics, mystery, intrigue, battle, the fate of empires....

Not a bad idea Chris...but I'm thrusting our PCs into the main roles except for Merlin (for good reason) rather than trying to figure out what is going on. But of course this thread is to get feedback on how I can develop the story before it begins...I might change it to your version...
    Arise, arise, Riders of Theoden!
    Fell deed awake: fire and slaughter!
    Spear shall be shaken, shields be splintered,
    a sword-day, a red-day, ere the sun rises!
    Ride now, ride now! Ride to Gondor!

Theoden King: The Return of the King

Ghosty - here's an interesting idea - you could do both!

The characters are outside observers or got drug along on the story in a plot hook.

The characters are also the other members of the Round Table, but don't know it.

The Monarch could be looking for his knights - which happens to be the PCs.... perhaps reincarnated into this time ala Camelot 3000.4

Or he could just be mad and deluded - who the hell could tell?

It would be ambitious, but you really could get the best of both worlds there.

Please excuse the pun.

Anyway, I love brainstorming plot ideas. Hope any of that helped. If not, heck, I might have cause to use it someday. Its a win-win.

Sorry Chris not what I was looking for.

The PCs won't be taking the roles as observers or even followers, they have to lead, they are Arthur, Lancelot, Guinevere and all the other key characters except Merlin who is more a guide leading them with cyrptic clues but never any direct information.
    Arise, arise, Riders of Theoden!
    Fell deed awake: fire and slaughter!
    Spear shall be shaken, shields be splintered,
    a sword-day, a red-day, ere the sun rises!
    Ride now, ride now! Ride to Gondor!

Theoden King: The Return of the King