Thread: Narrator's Guide: Starship options

Question Narrator's Guide: Starship options

Is the Narrator's Guide going to allow for new technology, even that which has never been seen on the shows? Kind of like guidelines for producing costs for new effects. For example, if I want to create a highly efficient warp drive by using some new technobabble for a Movie Series campaign, does the book help me set a 'cost' for the new drive? Another example, if I want to create a weapon system that basically opens a small wormhole inside another ship or anywhere else it's focused, are there guidelines for setting that up?

And given that we should be able to construct any ship ever seen with the rules in the NG... are we going to also see starship recognition manuals? I don't normally look on this as a problem, but I always fear the official ship is either way tougher or way weaker than the one I come up with. Still, knowing they'll be coming generally stops me from worrying too much about it.

Lockhart
    Last edited by Lockhart; 03-08-2002 at 12:45 PM.

Smile

Don? Ross?

I hope your lack of response so far indicates you're very busy at work. Which is all to the good for me. That means Decipher is close to shipping the rpg and the website is closer to coming online. This is basically a bump. If I'm assuming things about your relationships with Decipher, go ahead and correct me. My memory isn't my best quality.

Lockhart

Re: Narrator's Guide: Starship options

Originally posted by Lockhart
    Is the Narrator's Guide going to allow for new technology, even that which has never been seen on the shows?
    Not to my knowledge.

And given that we should be able to construct any ship ever seen with the rules in the NG...
    Whoa. We never said that (TMK). You can construct quite a bit, but we can't give you the tools to do everything upfront. Just isn't enough space!
    are we going to also see starship recognition manuals?
    Yes. I've been asked to write at least one. Perhaps more.

As an FYI, starships are more than just their base components. There are also Traits and Maneuvers that go with them, each with different "flavors" and "styles" for their respective empires. While the Federation may have the Picard Maneuver, the Klingons might have the Doh-Q-Jor Da! Maneuver ("Death Kneel") that is unique to them. Federation (and other empires) need to learn how to combat and counter those maneuvers.

So yes, ship manuals, although I don't know how many, and with more than just spitting out official ships--they'll have all-new crunchy bits in them that, again, we couldn't fit in due to space.

Hope that answers some of your questions.
    Mass Effect Fate RPG | "Mass Effect meets Fate meets awesome = FREE"
    Contributor, Gnome Stew
    "In every revolution, there's one man with a pizza."
    Star Trek (TOS) "Pizza, Pizza" (Second season), story by D.S.McBride

Re: Re: Narrator's Guide: Starship options

Originally posted by Don Mappin
    So yes, ship manuals, although I don't know how many, and with more than just spitting out official ships--they'll have all-new crunchy bits in them that, again, we couldn't fit in due to space.
    Hmm, crunchy bits... <drool>

Sounds good to me, and I bet a few fan suggestions for those kinds of things will start popping up soon anyway!
    Jon

"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea is asleep and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song.
    Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do."
    THE DOCTOR, "Survival" (Doctor Who)