Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I suppose this will make me a Heratic...

Unhappy I suppose this will make me a Heratic...

I have the original game from FASA, and would like to convert some of my old characters to the new system.. Is there any hope of someone figuring out the conversion. I never played the LUG system.. I did try the Prime directive game..

Any help would be appreciated...
    May your worlds be at peace. Never assume, that the pointy eared first officer is Vulcan.

Heretic? For trying to use your old characters? Hardly.

No if you start arguing that Enterprise is part of canon, you'll probably get some people's knickers in a bunch.

Don't mention the ridges/no ridges arguments...
    "War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

John Stuart Mill

Talking

Starfleet Marines anyone?

(/me ducks for cover)

That's no heresy... from seeing the title, I thought at first you were going to say you didn't understand what everyone finds so great about CODA... .
    I, for instance, like Janeway and hate Kirk. Talk about heresy ...
    (C5 tries to dodge phaser fire, but can't avoid the photon torpedoes )

I guess there were some conversion rules from FASA to LUG, wasn't it ? So, at least, you could convert from FASA to LUG, then from LUG to CODA (but this may look like a photocopy of a photocopy...).
    One day, I'll have to ask how this FASA system worked... I've never seen it.
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

O.K., first post here (Cadet Horacio reporting for briefing, sir!). I've played/GMed FASAtrek (I liked it), and I've played/GMed LUGtrek DS9 and TNG (I loved them). Next week, I hope I will receive CODAtrek (living in the far corner of France with a smal not-friendly local game store doesn't help having stuff soon ).

After that compulsory introduction, I have only a commentary and a question not about the FASA/CODA conversion...

Commentary: I hope the FASA -> LUG -> CODA conversion works well, because I have tons of FASA stuff half converted to LUG, and I expect converting them to CODA. Please, when somebody tries it, post here the result!

Question: Why does everybody hate ST Voyager and her captain Janeway?

(Disclaimer: I'm Spanish but I've lived in France for some years now, and neither in France nor in Spain Star Trek is very popular in TV, I mean, I did watched TNG, and some DS9, but AFAIK, DS9 never passed fully in Spanish TV, and Voyager never arrived. And in France, I think they are not in any TV right now So I've never watched Voyager. My question is a sincere question, not a troll )

Horacio

Might want to move the Voyager question to the "Star Trek Chat" forum elsewhere on this board.

I don't think everyone hates Voyager, just some of us. The reasons are legion, and I think there are several threads that address them in "Star Trek Chat." Check 'em out.

Oh, and welcome to the boards!

All right, this is completely off topic, but since I haven't ever even seen FASA Trek ... I guess it can't be helped .

Anyhow, welcome to the boards Horatio! One more fellow frenchy (oh well, sort of ) on the boards! Huzzah! (poor Paul )
    By the way, just wanted to add that TNG and DS9 can be seen in France every week on CanalJimmy (English and French). I got cable just for that . Mind you, TPS gets you most standard European stations free on top of that, so it might be even better (if you understand German, Sat1 usually proposes Trek series, for instance).

Trying desperately to bring this post back on topic ... argh failed! Sorry .
    Every procedure for getting a cat to take a pill works fine -- once.
    Like the Borg, they learn...
    -- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)

Originally posted by Calcoran
    All right, this is completely off topic, but since I haven't ever even seen FASA Trek ... I guess it can't be helped .
    Oh, don't worry
    But FASA trek was a really good game. I spent hundreds of hours with it. It was the first game I had seen that proposed you not to roll for normal tasks if you had a reasonable level of competence, and for me, in that D&D era, it was a wonderful change.

But I prefer LUG trek, and it seems I'm going to love CODA trek (it seems I brought it back on topic ).

Anyhow, welcome to the boards Horatio! One more fellow frenchy (oh well, sort of ) on the boards! Huzzah! (poor Paul )
    Hey, thanks for the welcome!

By the way, just wanted to add that TNG and DS9 can be seen in France every week on CanalJimmy (English and French). I got cable just for that . Mind you, TPS gets you most standard European stations free on top of that, so it might be even better (if you understand German, Sat1 usually proposes Trek series, for instance).
    I don't understand German
    But the cable idea can be studied CanalJimmy, hum, I will go to Numericable site for looking for it. Thanks!

Trying desperately to bring this post back on topic ... argh failed! Sorry .
    Weel, back in topic, I'd like to add that conversions are always a matter of personal viewing, I've found no hard and gast way that works without any tweks... So yes, I'm going to try to convert my FASA->LUG conversions to CODA, but I'm sure it will need some tweaks, and some time...

A direct FASA->CODA conversion would be a good thing. My FASA trek is right now in Madrid, some 1350 km out of my reach, so I cannot design a fully conversion myself. Anybody wants to try?

FASA-CODA CONVERSION

You got me interested, so I started working on a conversion. Here are the rough guidelines.

Attributes:

CODA FASA
    STR STR
    VIT END
    AGL DEX
    INT INT
    PRE CHA
    PER INT
    *PSI PSI
    **COURAGE LUC

CODA attribute = FASA attribute/12+4 (nearest).
    *PSI= Only converts over for psionically trained characters, otherwise discard.
    **LUC converts over to Courage Points, adding 1 to the final value (don't forget to add any speices courage points in too, so humans will get an addtional point).

NOTE: This conversion scale is based on the "typical" human having a score of 40 in FASA and a 7 in CODA.

SKILLS

CODA SKILL = FASA SKILL/8.5 (nearest)

Most FASA skills can be coverted to their CODA equvalents easily enough by lookaing at the name and description.

That should be enough to get the ball rolling.

Re: I suppose this will make me a Heratic...

Heretic?

Burn him! Burn him!

Cue lots of smoke and roasting smells....

What? You mean he's not a heretic after all?

Whoops

Wanders off whistling nonchalantly
    Jon

"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea is asleep and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song.
    Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do."
    THE DOCTOR, "Survival" (Doctor Who)

Now what am I supposed to do with all these marshmallows?

Originally posted by tonyg
    FASA-CODA CONVERSION
    You got me interested, so I started working on a conversion. Here are the rough guidelines.
    Hey, thanks! That's a good beginning

What happened to the chocolate and graham crackers?? smores anyone.. wait I was the roast..
    May your worlds be at peace. Never assume, that the pointy eared first officer is Vulcan.

additional thoughts

Since I like to push the limits, The other space games, like Babylon 5 and star wars, would be nice to see for additional races.. but then I am nuts to suggest such a thing, Right.

Not really.

One way to get more races for an RPG is to swipe them from other settings. RPGs are pretty good sources since most tend to tract the sort of information that gamers want.

Most GMs I know have done a lot of this.

Basically look at your source material and try to convert. It really isnt too hard, since most RPGs have enough concepts in common to put you on the right track.

I once converted two species from a SF RPG called Alternity , the T'sa ans Sesheyan into ICON Trek for a campaign. With decent results. Converting them to CODA would probably be easier as Alternity and CODA have more similarilties than Alternity and ICON did.

Heck, with a little work you can turn a Cyberman into a Cylon or even a Borg.

I expect that as in LUGTrek, eventually there will be many alien races for CODATREK. But in the meantime (or even if you just want to import a guest species there are a few ways to go).

For example, the D&D 3E Monster Manual can be a great source of alien creatres for a D20 Star Wars campaign.Likewise, LOTR (with will use the CODA rules) could be a good source for adding creatures and gear into your TREK Campaign. From what I've read, it looks like it wouldn't be tough to swipe hobbit, orcs or various pre-industrial weapons.

If you got specific question about conversion just post. You will probably get lots of answers. !